- Judo is an activity that is enjoyed by males and females of all ages.
- Judo develops athletic qualities and skills from basic physical literacy to complex movement patterns and tactics.
- Judo offers avenues of philosophical exploration for it is rooted in Japanese culture.
- Judo is an excellent form of self defense; it also develops conflict management skills.
- Judo is a sport which can be pursued towards Olympic glory.
- Judo programs offer a safe and challenging environment in which each judoka can achieve his or her potential.
The Japanese word “Judo” literally means the “gentle way”. Balance, timing, strategy and tactics, are essential characteristics of this sport and art. The objective in judo is to apply these principles to the many throwing and grappling techniques. Judo is both a fun and high-energy activity as well as a relaxing and calming exercise. The various movements and techniques can be learned with games and are perfected through practice with a partner.
In short, Judo has a wide range of appeal as a sport, an art, a discipline, a recreational pastime, a social activity, a fitness program, a means of self-defense, and a way of life.